Friday, April 26, 2013

This One's for the Girls 2013

On Wednesday night, we celebrated our second annual "This One's for the Girls" (a.k.a. "Princess Power Training") spa night at Heartland. I wanted to begin a program like this for Lorelei, because I know we have got to be deliberate as mothers in teaching our daughters the truth about who they are and what defines their beauty. More about its beginnings HERE and HERE.
I was so thrilled to introduce our keynote speaker, Miss Greater Wichita 2013 (soon to compete for Miss Kansas), Hannah Fox. Here's Hannah & her little chihuahua mix Tia with Lorelei before the event.
Sutton's mommy was helping out, so she got some special Tia kisses before the event too.
Each time, I have been simply overwhelmed by the response. I have so many moms stop me to say, "I've been praying for something like this for my daughter." It breaks my heart, but both years we've had to turn people away because there's more demand than space. We've had other churches interested in joining us too, so I know this is heavy on mothers' hearts. We all just know what our precious girls are up against, and we want to stand together as a community and be voices of truth.  It's really been a group effort, completely led by these intentional moms.
 I had the privilege of introducing our speaker and giving a short talk about what beauty is, and what it isn't.  I think it's so important for moms to acknowledge that THEY are beautiful, just the way they are, because if they can't accept that truth about themselves, their daughters will struggle to accept it, too. We are ALWAYS modeling for our girls what it means to love and accept ourselves.
I asked Hannah if she would give the same speech Miss Kansas 2012 gave last year. She removed layer after layer--sash, crown, shoes, dress--until her hair was in a ponytail and she was in a plain old shirt and shorts, asking each time: "Does this change who I am?"


Powerful! What an example of beauty being so much more than skin-deep.
We led the girls and moms together in a chant--"I am beautiful!"--because God created us, He creates beauty, and He tells us we are "fearfully and wonderfully made."
I love capturing the faces of mothers and daughters hearing this message.



 Hannah also brought copies of her book and signed them to the girls. A treasure!
 We split off into small groups for "love manicures." 
 Using nail pens, we wrote letters representing the be-YOU-tiful and unique qualities we love about our daughters: S because Lulu is such a great big sister, V because she's a talented violinist, H because she's always so helpful, C for her boundless creativity, F because she's fun & a friend to all...
She kind of loved it.

 You can just see the Light in their eyes.



Next, we played the "Pass the Pedicure Game." We pass the polish until the music stops, then paint one toe.



Super fun and colorful!
 We ended the night in relaxing facial and cucumber eye treatments, just doting on our sweet daughters.





Because they are daughters of a King, crowned in beauty.
And we love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment