Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Christmas Card 2017... and the cards of Christmases past

I love it when our front door grows full of merry faces beaming out at us from holiday cards. Most years we have a tradition of taking our family's Christmas photo in front of the green garage door near the Hobbs building in West Bottoms. This year, since we did a bit of travel, we added a travel themed twist: Joy to the World!

And I love seeing cards from years past side-by-side, and looking back on all the fun adventures and changing stages of our lives. These cards always remind me how quickly time travels, and to slow down and make these people I love so much the priority in my life--in my focus, in how I spend my time and the sacrifices required for togetherness, in the way our family earns and spends money (experiences vs. material things), in building family infrastructures (economy, rules, core values) and traditions (our unique family culture)--because these kids are not getting any younger.

It makes me anticipate the Christmas cards yet-to-come in the space of the next 8 years, before we become empty-nesters. Only 8 more Christmas cards left! What adventures lay ahead? What love and intentional togetherness will these snapshots of our years convey? 

Can we look back with few regrets and say our time, the true currency of life's treasures, has been well-spent?

Because oh how the years go by...

2016 - Greece & Turkey/Peace on Earth
 2015: Romper Pajamas/Cozy Christmas theme
 2014: Magical Holidays
 2013: Norway, Sweden, Denmark & Estonia/God Jul!
 2012: Momma Kissin' Santa Claus/Merry Kissmas!
 2011: Conspiracy Theory
Look how those little tots have grown over the years! So grateful for Mark and the kids, who bring joy to my world every single day. Family comes first. Love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment