Thursday, June 9, 2011

Popeye'd Be Proud!

Because this has been a staple of our diet forever, I thought it was worth posting our homemade breakfast smoothie recipe we drink on most mornings.
Start with bananas: 1, or 2 if you have them.
Old bananas work great. Frozen old bananas, even better. 
 Now grab a HUGE handful of spinach.  Yeah, that much.  The bananas cancel out the spinach flavor almost entirely, and it's loaded with nutrients.  Loaded.
 Sometimes I forget this part, but I like to give it a shake of benefiber. 
(I should have made this step "Number Two").
 Sometimes I'll throw in berries--strawberries, blueberries, blackberries... whatever we have.  And if I have time, I'll brew up some green tea, cool it off, and throw it in.  Most days, though, I don't.
 
 Top with skim or lowfat milk.  I switch this up.
 Blend away!  You'll notice the rather unappetizing color, which is where our last ingredient comes in: plastic restaurant cups with lids and straws.
 The kids sip their smoothies during Jake and the Neverland Pirates.
(Both kids asked for seconds this morning--they love our healthy smoothies!)  I like that we start the day filling our bodies with fresh veggies, fruit and calcium--sometimes we barely get any veggies during the rest of the day (sad, but it happens), but we begin it fully loaded with healthy goodness.  And that counts for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment