Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Lorelei's Letter

The day after the horrific tragedy at Sandy Hook School, Lorelei was sitting at her art table, writing a card.  She handed it to me and said that "my brain told me to write it, so I just did": 
"Help the sickness with your faith. I love you, Mom."
I hadn't told Lorelei what had happened the day before.  I was strong for my kids.  I kept the media at bay. Lorelei had no idea about Connecticut, which makes her message all the more profound.
How did she sense the darkness?  What angel whispered "faith" in her little ear?

During Worship & Communion night in November, I heard a phrase repeating in my head: 
Ora Pro Nobis.
As soon as I got home, I looked it up.  It means, "Pray for us."
I don't know what else to do now but to pray.  And as I bring these grieving families before God, I listen to this song from beautiful King's College, Cambridge, where I once heard this choir sing.  It echoes something of heaven to my shattered spirit, penetrating far beyond the reach of words. Again and again I played it on December 14 and everyday since:
I take comfort in this carol, too:
“And in despair I bowed my head: 'There is no peace on earth,' I said, 'For hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth good will to men.'
"Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: 'God is not dead nor doth He sleep; The wrong shall fail, the right prevail, with peace on earth good will to men.'"
Help the sickness with your faith.  Ora Pro Nobis.
Thy kingdom come, Lord.  Thy kingdom come to Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment